My family uses this as our "heal everything" soup. It's packed with immune-boosting mushrooms, especially if you choose from the great Pacific Northwest varieties.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, julienned into 1-2-in pieces (I use a mandolin)
- 4 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 to 3-in piece of ginger, chopped
- 1.5 ounces dried mushrooms (I use a blend of NW mushrooms)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced into large sections
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 2 dried Thai chilies (optional, can do more)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Juice from 6-8 large limes (3/4 to 1 cup)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (or 4 cups) coconut milk.
In a large soup pot, heat the coconut oil. Add the onion and fry for a few minutes until onions start to become translucent. Add carrot and ginger and stir fry for another minute or two. Add vegetable stock, water, celery, ginger, lemongrass, lime leaf, Thai chilies and dried mushrooms and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
Add coconut milk and lime juice and bring to a boil and then immediately turn off heat. Add cilantro and cover for 5 minutes before serving.